May 22, 2024

Louis I Vuitton

Savvy Car Technicians

Wallsend drink driver who crashed motorcycle caught intoxicated at the wheel again


A drink driver who crashed his motorcycle was caught at the wheel while over the limit again just six months later.

Police initially attended reports of a one-vehicle accident on the Coast Road, in Wallsend, one evening in August last year.

They found that uninsured Jason Campbell had lost control of his motorbike and crashed, a court heard.

Read more: From Darlington to Berwick: Crack addict stole from shops across region to fund habit

The 36-year-old was taken to hospital, where a blood sample was taken and he was found to be over the drink drive limit. However, rather than learn his lesson and while awaiting his day in the dock, Campbell once again got behind the wheel while intoxicated.

Sarah Malkinson, prosecuting at North Tyneside Magistrates’ Court, said: “On February 17 2022, at around 11pm, officers were travelling along Middle Engine Lane and their attention was drawn to the defendant’s Vauxhall Astra.

“He was approaching the roundabout at Battle Hill. The driver’s window was heavily tinted, so officers indicated for him to stop. He was asked to do a breath test, which he provided.”

The court heard that, on the first occasion, Campbell, of Hadrian Wynd, Wallsend, had 102mcg of alcohol in 100ml of blood when the legal limit is 80.

On the second, he gave a reading of 80mcg of alcohol in 100ml of breath, when the legal limit is 35. Magistrates were told that Campbell had eight offences on his record, including a previous drink driving conviction from 2005.

Stuart Athey, defending, said Campbell had lost both his parents in an accident when he was younger but had managed to pull his life around and get a highly paid job working offshore.

Mr Athey added: “On the motorcycle, he ran out of petrol but he managed to pull up outside a pub.

“People helped him and he went to the garage with a jerry can. He then consumed two pints and Stella. That’s led to him being over the limit.”

Cambell was fined £1,416 and was ordered to pay £170 costs and a £140 victim surcharge. He was also disqualified from driving for three years.


Source link